<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d14979738\x26blogName\x3dMusings+On...\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://musingson.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://musingson.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8564575961458918903', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Friday, August 26, 2005

Theme?

Hey everyone, this is Nick from Cleveland. Thank you Tom, for inviting me on to this blog. This is the first time I'm doing this, so please take it easy on me :)

I so wanted to like this game. I have always liked the tales of King Arthur and Camelot. Unfortunately this game did nothing for me. Too put it bluntly, It was an exercise in mathematics. I understand that the game should evoke a feeling or transport you into the realm, but all I felt like doing while playing this was pull out an abacus and make the calculations.

Here is my background. I am an old school wargamer. I cut my teeth on the old AH, VG, SPI wargames in the eighties. I stopped gaming after I finished school and just got back into it over the past three years. I like playing euros, but my heart is still with the wargames. I don't mind adding numbers; most wargames have you trying to add up your counters to get better odds on an attack. In this game it seemed that's all you did. You had to juggle the numbers to complete the quests. It just didn't click with me. Since I do not have experience with CCGs (the only one I'll play is Blue Moon) maybe I'm not the best person to speak about this game.

Playing Camelot Legends was like studying for the GRE with flashcards. The game was too number heavy and completely overwhelmed the gameplay, hence I could never get into the theme. I liked the text on the cards and read them, but it was when I wasn't playing the game. When you're in a game, you really can't concentrate on the theme, you're too busy adding up the numbers and juggling lineups. Maybe others are able to look beyond the numbers and enjoy the experience, but for me it just did not work.